Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Museums, and palaces, and the TARDIS...Oh My!!

So first I have to admit, this may have been my favorite day in London.

We started our morning off early by heading out to the tube and making our way into town. Then we walked quite a ways over to the British Museum!!!!! For anyone who doesn't know...working there is like my dream job! It was so amazing and I was so happy to finally be inside that museum!

We saw the standard must sees...The Rosetta Stone, the Easter Island head, etc. and they were all really cool. I loved every minute of it. Then we went up stairs into the Egyptology rooms and we walked around and enjoyed the many displays of Ancient Egyptian artifacts. Then we walked on over to Victorian Britain. We saw lots of cool things there too.

After making a trip to the gift shop (no real shock there), we said goodbye to the British Museum and made our way over to the tube once again. From there we went over to Notting Hill and walked over to Kensington Palace.

First, Carolyn and I had a wonderful picnic lunch in the absolutely beautiful Kensington Gardens. it was so nice out that day and everyone was picnicking or playing in the parks. It was just so relaxing. When we finished lunch we walked further into the gardens and finally reached Kensington Palace.

Kensington Palace, by the way, was Queen Victoria's childhood homestead. No just so you all know....I love Queen Victoria!! She is my favorite Queen and I love her husband, Prince Albert, too! I always love hearing about them and their lives, so being at Kensington Palace sort of made my day. We went inside and explored the '"ictoria Revealed" exhibit that was throughout the palace. It was all about Queen Victoria and Prince Albert's lives together beginning at the moment that the young Princess became Queen. It was all very interesting.

Then Carolyn took me to the other side of Notting Hill down to Portobello Road. Portobello Road is a shopping street where tons of people put up stands filled with anything and everything along the street. It was fun to explore and look at all of the things for sale. Fortunately I was able to control myself and not spend too much money there.

We then had one final mission before going home for dinner....locating the TARDIS.

Ok so just in case some of you are not Dr. Who fans I will explain this for you. First off, TARDIS stands for Time And Relative Dimensions In Space. The TARDIS is disguised as a blue police box. The TARDIS is the sentient being that functions as a time machine as well as a space ship for the Doctor. The Doctor is an alien from the race called the Time Lords. He is the last one of the Time Lords remaining since The Great Time War.  

This "mad man with a box" (as he has been described by some other characters) travels time and space with his companions (usually humans) saving the universe from peril and disaster one planet at a time.

Alright now that that's done....Carolyn and I discovered that their was a recreation of these old blue police boxes (the last original police box is in Glasgow, Scotland) and we could not pass up the chance to go see it. So we did. And we took pictures...lots and lots of pictures. Basically we were being nerds in public.

Then we went back and cooked dinner before heading out again into London. We went over to West End and met up with a few of Carolyn's friends and went to go see Les Mis! Everything about it was fantastic. The sets were amazing, the casting was well done, and the singing was great. I loved it so much; finally being able to see one of my favorite musicals live.

Finally, after all that, Carolyn and I called it a night and went back to her place. There we ate Ben & Jerry's and Jammie Dodgers while watching.......any guesses?......That's right, Doctor Who!


No comments:

Post a Comment